Friday, March 13, 2009

Friday the 13th, fact or fiction?

Today is Friday, 13th of March 09. Is there any significance to this date?

Before coming to Canada, ‘13’ was just another number, never thought it to be special, or different. I recall hearing that this number is not considered a good number in some cultures, nothing beyond that. Of course there is always the movie series “Friday the 13th”, but I don’t watch horror movies.

It was quite interesting to find out that in Canada, high rise buildings avoid naming a 13th floor! The elevator dial numbers 1-12 then jumps to 14. Now that becomes quite disturbing at times, especially in the real estate industry (worked there for a while) when a level 22 floor actually corresponds to units starting with 23.

A quick search (Wikipedia) shows that it is a superstious day, which is believed to be a day of good or back luck (more bad than good!). Well, I’d rather think of today (at least – since Friday 13th occurs between 1 – 3 times a year) as a good day. Why? Well, after a week of brutal -48 C to -35 C degrees, today is a warm -2 C only. YAY! Also, I managed to solve 1 database discrepancy that was bothering me for a while, and I am in a good mood!

Well, better get back to the remaining discrepancies….

Have a great weekend everyone ;-)

1 comment:

3eeraqimedic said...

Dear Zuza
Wow you have been busy here!
This entry caught my attention and I remember when I first arrived here how odd it seemed to me that national scientific medical treatment trials were numbered 11,12,14. I supose the coordinators felt no-one would accept being entered into a trial called 13, but would not think twice about entry into the 13th trial if it was called 14, same as people living on the 13th floor they call the 14th. odd