Monday, November 17, 2008

Issues with Google Chrome

There are so many internet browsers out there. I have always been a solid Internet Explorer fan, however, I have been experiencing some problems with it recently, especially with their latest one (Version 7).  Issues of performance (very slow to respond at times), hang ups, and the enormous memory usage started affecting my laptop’s overall performance. Not very good when you are doing research!

I tried Mozilla Firefox but I did not like it, no specific reason, I liked their tabs but their Bookmarks reminded me of Netscape Navigator.

Anyway, I thought why not try Google’s new browser Chrome, which was also recommended by some friends. My colleague Dong also has a post about it on his blog: (http://dongnotes.blogspot.com/2008/09/comic-of-google-chrome.html )

What I really like about it is its performance. Really fast, and seems reliable. Still has tabs which is great, and I can encode content to read articles written in different languages which is important to me. I love their “Most Visited Links” feature, detachable and retachable tabs, and access to recent bookmarks.

I am running through the following issues though:

1.       Accessing Yahoo Mail:

  •  Sometimes does not open the page and gives an error (something within the lines of a plug-in issue and it has to close the browser).

  •  In Explorer, I enjoyed the email address auto complete feature. It is not there anymore in Chrome. I have to literally access my address book and go through all the list of contacts to add a contact, which is nowadays time consuming.

  •  What I do in research sometimes, is that I email myself some interesting links for further review or safe keeping. Sometimes it is just a simple reminder line with no content. Now with Explorer, I get this warning about sending an empty email, and I have the option to continue or cancel sending the message. Unfortunately, this warning box hangs in Chrome! It keeps processing endlessly, showing an empty box till I kill it.

2.       Some applications do not open in Chrome. For example, some Facebook applications (like the flower app) would never open in Chrome! I get their home page, but when I wish to browse their flowers, it once again keeps processing endlessly with no results. Therefore, I have to access Facebook from Explorer.

3.       Another good feature that I enjoyed with Explorer was joined with my version of Real Player. Whenever I view a video clip that I like, I have the option to download it to my real player. This feature does not seem to exist in Chrome, so I am back to Explorer.

As you can see, I am toggling now between both browsers, depending on what I want to do.

 I realize that Google Chrome is currently in beta version, but I thought of pointing out a couple of issues that I am currently experiencing, to see if anyone else has the same problems or knows of any solutions.

4 comments:

Fichter said...

Hi Zina
Made it to the blog this time. Last time I made it to you home page :-)

Are you sticking with Chrome?

I like this quote on the side:
"The difference between Ordinary and Extraordinary is the little 'extra'" - Unknown

Cheers
Darlene

Zina said...

Hi Darlene,
Glad you finally found it ;-)
I'm not sure about sticking with Chrome yet, its nice, but I just found out that the address autocomplete is a known issue. So we'll see if they would incorporate this functionality or not.
Cheers,
Zina

Zina said...

Yay!!!
Issue 1.3 seems to be working today (finally!) The small notification box no longer hangs.
Hope they get the rest of the issues resolved.

Zina said...

Another Yay!
Today the flower application in Facebook works!
3 more issues to go...