Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Zuza at The Pas - Manitoba


Hello again!

I know its been a while, but I came across this great opportunity to become a Science Ambassador at a northern community for a duration of 6 weeks, I just could not pass it up :-D

I have not been to Manitoba before, now I know why its called "friendly Manitoba". People are nice, I am way up north at the town of The Pas. A very interesting town. It's layout is close to Saskatoon - the Saskatoon River runs through it. It is not as big though, a population of only 6000 people (including the surroundings).

I work with schools there, on each side of the river, promoting Science to Grades 6-8 students by doing fun experiments to engage their interest in learning and getting careers in Science. A real neat program called The Science Ambassador Program. This week I work on the reserve side of the river. Its Cree Nation in this part - specifically called Opaskwayak Cree Nation, an aboriginal community. 


As usual, I've been real busy with the preps, but it is a great experience. Students feedback is great, which is very rewarding. 

Oh, did I mention that Clearwater Lake is close by? It is one of the clearest lakes in the world (the second, I believe). I got a chance to visit a section of it, known as "The Caves"- a true beauty!










I still have a couple of weeks before heading back. Will try to post then. Better get going now!

No comments: