Saturday, October 25, 2008

Parlez-vous Francais?

Ah French, gotta love this language!

I learnt it back in school, then had to stop French classes during my undergrad years, plus there was no one to practise with at that time, so my connection with it remained, I would say slightly refreshed through re-visiting my old French books every once in a while. I still do not practice it as much as I would like, despite me residing in Canada, which I find very unfortunate as I don't want to forget it.

What I found interesting though, I studied the 'French' French in school, which to me, at that time seemed simply French, i.e. one French! To my surprise, when I came to Canada many years ago I heard a different dialect of French, a 'Quebecoise' French...

Did I like it? Not really, let alone liking it, I didn’t even understand it!

I think I prefer the other French, the one that I learnt, and I was trying to find a way to stay in touch with the language. After many failed attempts I finally came across the audios of Michel Thomas, who explains French in a wonderful way, that makes you speak fluent French without putting much effort into it and in a short time too, because he rationalizes it in an unforgettable way and relates it to either English or Latin.

If you are trying to learn ‘French’ French or simply remember it, I would highly recommend his audios. I have taken the task of listening to them daily in the mornings on my way to the lab, and the first thing I noticed after a few days, was my confidence in conversing in French again!

What’s next? hmmm. Lets see… it is a long list, I have Spanish, Italian, Mandarin and one Slavic language for now, plus a strong brush up on my very humble Hindi, Kurdish and Turkish - any good references you would recommend?

No comments: